About file handling

I am unable to understand some of the file handling concepts like r+ and w+ modes can you help me. I want overall file handling concepts in detail .

You can use the open () function to deal with files. it takes two arguments. the file name and the mode in which you want to open the file. the some of the modes are r, w, r+, w+, a, a+.

‘r’: This is the default mode. It opens the file for reading only. If the file does not exist, it raises a FileNotFoundError exception.

‘w’: This mode opens the file for writing only. If the file does not exist, it creates a new file. If the file already exists, it overwrites the file.

‘a’: This mode is used to open a file for writing only, with the added behavior that if the file does not exist, it will be created. If the file already exists, any data written to the file will be appended to the end of the file, rather than overwriting the existing data.

‘r+’: This mode opens the file for both reading and writing. If the file does not exist, it raises a FileNotFoundError exception.

‘w+’: This mode opens the file for both reading and writing. If the file does not exist, it creates a new file. If the file already exists, it overwrites the file.

‘a+’ : This mode is similar to the ‘a’ mode, but it allows you to read from the file as well as write to it. If the file does not exist, it will be created. If the file already exists, any data written to the file will be appended to the end of the file, rather than overwriting the existing data.

2 Likes

thank you so much this is very helpful

2 Likes